Steerpike

Steerpike

Steerpike is The Spectator's gossip columnist, serving up the latest tittle tattle from Westminster and beyond. Email tips to steerpike@spectator.co.uk or message @MrSteerpike

A fifth of MPs’ questions now ‘carded’

From our UK edition

The House of Commons returns next week – and not a moment too soon for some in government. After a summer in which Nigel Farage has dominated the airwaves, Labour is keen to try and move the news agenda onto their preferred choice of subject. With rumours swirling about a reshuffle, No. 10 will be keen to try and promote some of the shiny new Starmtroopers elected last year. After 12 months of learning the ropes, many are keen to get their hands on a red box. But not all in parliament are happy with how proceedings are being conducted. In recent months, Mr S has heard cross-party grumblings about the House of Commons Table Office. The men and women who work here are tasked with ensuring parliamentary questions are in shape-shape order.

Ed Davey to boycott Trump’s state banquet

From our UK edition

Buckingham Palace has endured its fair share of shocks and crises over the years. But last night, His Majesty was hit by the latest bombshell: Sir Ed Davey will not be attending his upcoming banquet to host Donald Trump. The Liberal Democrat leader is boycotting the event in protest at the President’s stance on Gaza. How will they fill the void... Writing in (where else?) the Guardian, Davey declared that skipping the Palace knees-up 'goes against all of my instincts', but was 'the only way I can send a message to both Trump and Starmer'. With the PM, Nigel Farage and Kemi Badenoch all publicly keeping schtum on their own private thoughts about the current U.S president, clearly Davey is hoping to capitalise on the current anti-Trump void in British politicis.

‘Cash for questions’ Tory MP cleared

From our UK edition

'Tory gain!' is a cry heard less and less frequently these days. But in a rare piece of good news for the current HM Opposition, Tory MP George Freeman has today been cleared of ‘Cash for Questions’ accusations by the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner. The former Science Minister referred himself to the watchdog back in June following reporting by the Sunday Times. Always good to try and get ahead of the story... The paper alleged that Freeman inquired to a company that paid him £5,000 per month as an advisor 'what to ask about' in Parliament and to 'help him get the wording right.' But the Standards Commissioner gave Freeman the all clear, concluding there were no grounds for a formal investigation. Result!

Labour: Farage wants Britain to fail

From our UK edition

Following Farage’s deportation declaration yesterday, Labour have gone on the attack. In a speech today on the future of EU relations, Europe Minister Nick Thomas-Symonds hit out at Farage, declaring he wants Britain to fail. Speaking at The Spectator, he told the assembled great and the not-so-good of HM Press Gallery that: Aside for his pension packet, Nigel Farage can’t bring himself to have any relationship with the EU. Unable to recognise what is actually the best choice for working families across Britain but also because Nigel Farage wants Britain to fail. His model of politics feeds on it. When British businesses fail, when family bills go up, he offers the easy answers, dividing communities, stoking anger. We reject that. Emphatically. Ouch!

Angela Rayner in storm over council tax

From our UK edition

Power, said Henry Kissinger, is the ultimate aphrodisiac – but it also seems to improve your property prospects too. Angela Rayner is back in the headlines, having just purchased a new £800,000 property in Hove. She is under fire amid questions about her two residences: a grace and favour flat in Admiralty House and her constituency home in Ashton-under-Lyme. The Deputy Prime Minister has declared the latter to be her primary residence. This means that the council tax on her SW1 base is paid for by the British taxpayer to the tune of £2,034 a year. Worse still, the cost is set to rise to £4,068 due to a new premium on second homes, a policy she developed. As Sir Humphrey might opine, a ‘sub-optimal’ look to say the least... The political backlash so far has been mixed.

Corbyn’s party seeks a new name

From our UK edition

The magic grandpa is back in town! Jeremy Corbyn’s new leftwing outfit – ‘Your Party’ – is seeking a rebrand, ahead of its long-awaited launch. The outlet has so far got off to a rocky start, after co-leader Zarah Sultana shocked some involved by launching it late one Thursday night. But now, in a bid to shed their (already) chaotic image, ‘Your Party’ is now seeking a new name, with suggestions being submitted online. Cue the inevitable deluge of suggestions… 'Votey McVoteface' and 'Party McPartyface' were quickly pitched alongside the 'Tooting Popular Front'. The 'Judean Peoples' Front' has been touted, not to be confused with that awful bunch over at the Peoples’ Front of Judea.

Corbyn-Sultana party to launch Scottish branch

From our UK edition

The new party of the left has got off to a pretty shaky start. It doesn't have a proper name, its co-leaders (Jeremy Corbyn and Zarah Sultana) barely get along and already left-wing activists are trying to oust party strategists. But no matter: the group is ploughing ahead and will, it transpires, be launching its first Scottish branch next month. How very interesting… Your Party – which is not the official name of the group, Sultana fumed on social media – will launch a Scottish branch in Glasgow next month, with an assembly to take place on 5 September. In a statement, the group has said: Glaswegians are champing at the bit for change. We are ready to play our part in building a new democracy from the grassroots up.

Home Office seeks to appeal High Court migrant hotel decision

From our UK edition

It's the issue that has dominated the week: hotels housing asylum seekers. On Tuesday, the High Court granted a temporary injunction to Epping Forest district council, meaning that the asylum seekers living in Essex's Bell Hotel will have to be removed within 24 days. The landmark ruling has prompted councils across the country to consider taking similar legal action – but now it transpires that the Home Office is seeking to intervene in the decision. Good heavens… The action will not seek to appeal the entire judgment but, security minister Dan Jarvis told broadcasters on Friday, the government is seeking to challenge the High Court's decision on the Bell Hotel, so that Home Secretary Yvette Cooper is allowed to intervene.

More people blame Tories than Labour for migrant hotels

From our UK edition

Migrant hotels have been the talk of the week after the High Court granted Epping Forest district council a temporary injunction on Tuesday – meaning the asylum seeker residents of Essex's Bell Hotel must be moved within 24 days. It's a landmark ruling that will have significant ramifications for the rest of the country – with just under 30 other councils considering similar legal action. Talk about getting the ball rolling… Politicians have been quick to make use of the situation for political point scoring, with shadow home secretary Chris Philp attacking Labour for ‘tearing up the deterrents the Conservatives put in place’.

Labour’s first year sees 111,000 asylum claims

From our UK edition

When it rains for Sir Keir Starmer, it pours. Now it has emerged that during the Labour lot's first year in office to June 2025, a whopping 111,000 people claimed asylum in the UK amid a surge in small boat crossings – up by a staggering 14 per cent on the previous 12 months. So much for smashing the gangs, eh? Figures reveal that the numbers of those claiming asylum during this period was 8 per cent greater than the last asylum claim peak in 2002. Half of those looking for asylum entered the UK irregularly: four in ten arrived by small boat while an additional one in ten arrived via lorries, shipping containers or without the correct documents.

Labour MSP charged over child sex abuse images

From our UK edition

Scottish Labour MSP Colin Smyth has been arrested and charged in connection with the possession of indecent images. The 52-year-old politician – who has represented the South Scotland constituency for a decade – was taken into custody at a Dumfries property earlier this month and a police investigation has been launched. The Scottish Labour party suspended Smyth after he was charged, with the politician now an independent MSP. A party spokesperson said: The whip has been removed from Colin Smyth MSP, pending an investigation. We cannot comment further on this matter while the investigation is ongoing. A Police Scotland spokesperson added: On Tuesday, August 5, 2025, officers executed a warrant at a property on Marchfield Avenue, Dumfries.

White House joins TikTok – despite US ban looming

From our UK edition

To the Land of the Free, where Donald Trump's administration has been busy, er, setting up a TikTok account. The White House has joined the social media platform this week, despite plans by the United States to ban the app in just under a month over security concerns. The profile has so far posted three videos and amassed 116,700 followers. You can't blame them not making the most of it while they've got it, eh? The White House set up a verified account on the Chinese platform on Tuesday, posting its first video of Trump clips with the caption: 'America, we are back! What's up TikTok?' A second video shows cuts of the White House building itself, while a third has pasted together some of Trump's snappiest reactions. The page's descriptor reads: 'Welcome to the Golden Age of America.

Ex-Scottish Labour councillor joins Reform UK

From our UK edition

Well, well, well. The Scottish Tories have lost a number of councillors to Nigel Farage's ranks and now Labour appears to be facing the same fate. This morning, a former Labour councillor in Fife who left the party over claims she was blocked from becoming a general election candidate has jumped ship to Nige's Scottish operation. Julie MacDougall – the daughter of Gordon Brown ally John MacDougall – is the latest local politician to have joined Reform UK. Another one bites the dust… Commenting on her move, MacDougall claimed she joined Farage's group after 'thoughtful consultation'. She added: I want more grown up, authentic politics and an opportunity to work together to offer better.

Listen: Labour minister’s car crash asylum hotel interview

From our UK edition

Dear oh dear. As Steerpike wrote on Tuesday afternoon, asylum seekers will be removed from the Bell Hotel in Essex after Epping Forest district council was granted a temporary injunction by the High Court. The legal action comes after a series of protestors gathered outside the venue after a resident was charged with sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl – and the move sets a significant precedent that could pose problems for the government. On the airwaves to talk about it all this morning was Labour's security minister, Dan Jarvis. But rather than providing clarity, the MP's disastrous interview only threw up more questions… Quizzed on Radio 4's Today programme by Emma Barnett about where migrants would be housed, if not hotels, Jarvis seemed rather confused himself.

Migrants to be removed from Epping hotel after council wins injunction

From our UK edition

Asylum seekers will be removed from the Bell Hotel in Essex after Epping Forest district council was granted a temporary injunction by the High Court. The legal action comes after a series of protestors gathered outside the venue after a resident was charged with sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl. The council's lawyers claimed that Somani Hotels had breached planning rules, given the site is not being used for its intended purpose. The barristers argued that the situation 'could not be much worse', with Philip Coppel KC adding: 'There has been what can be described as an increase in community tension, the catalyst of which has been the use of the Bell Hotel to place asylum seekers'.

Poll: children’s exposure to porn higher after Online Safety Act

From our UK edition

Well, well, well. According to research by the children's commissioner for England, children's exposure to pornography has increased since the Online Safety Act came into effect. Dame Rachel de Souza noted that a survey had found that more young people said they'd been exposed to porn before the age of 18 after the new rules were introduced compared to the results of a similar survey in 2023. How very interesting. Over a quarter of people said they had seen online porn by the age of 11 – with some rather disturbingly noting they were 'aged six or younger' when asked about their first exposure. Seven out of ten young people said they had seen porn before the age of 18 in 2025, compared with 64 per cent two years ago.

Scottish Labour faces councillor crisis as Reform eyes up seats

From our UK edition

It’s not a good time to be in Scottish Labour. With nine months to go until the 2026 Holyrood election, the party is still trailing behind the SNP and, at times, Reform UK. And things aren’t going well at a local level either: in recent months the party has suspended five councillors over inappropriate conduct and today one of these, Fife council’s David Graham, has been jailed for 27 months after the 43-year-old was found guilty for sexually abusing a vulnerable teenager. Good heavens… A by-election will be held in Fife’s Buckhaven, Methil and Wemyss Villages ward in due course – with opposition parties keeping tabs on a number of council seats after the suspension of more Labour councillors in Scotland.

Revealed: Mental health claims see Foreign Office absences soar

From our UK edition

Back to the UK's bloated civil service. As if the government didn't have enough on its plate trying to slash Whitehall red tape, the number of sick days taken by civil servants won't help Sir Keir Starmer's army pick up the pace on progress. Civil servant absences are on track to reach a record high – and the Foreign Office is no exception to the trend. Mr S can reveal the number of sick days taken by FCDO mandarins shot up by more than 50 per cent in the financial year ending March 2024 compared to the previous year – while the number of days lost to mental health issues soared by more than three-quarters.

Sally Rooney to use BBC royalties to support Palestine Action

From our UK edition

The UK government's proscription of campaign group Palestine Action saw over more than 500 protestors arrested this month – the greatest number of arrests made by the Met Police on a single day – after they took signs supporting the group to Parliament Square. The arrests prompted expressions of unease from politicians, commentators and, now, authors. Irish writer Sally Rooney expressed her support for the activists in the Irish Times this weekend and vowed to use BBC cash to help fund Palestine Action. Rooney wrote that she felt she had to make her support public after the mass arrests of Palestine Action supporters on 9 August, and asserted: 'If this makes me a "supporter of terror" under UK law, so be it.

BBC admits Huw Edwards hasn’t returned six-figure sum

From our UK edition

Now the beleaguered BBC is facing fury from its own staff – after it emerged that Huw Edwards has not paid back the £200,000 doled out to him after being arrested in November 2023 for possessing indecent images of children. Last summer the former TV star pleaded guilty to three counts of making indecent images of children at Westminster magistrates’ court. But it quickly transpired that not only had Edwards, one of the Beeb's highest paid stars, received a £40,000 pay rise in the 12 months between March 2023-April 2024, he was paid a further £200,000 after his arrest – with BBC boss Tim Davies confirming last year that the corporation had been aware Edwards had been arrested over the most serious category of indecent images of children.